Thessaloniki – October 17-21, 2012. Stand number 5.108
This year Womex will be held in Thessaloniki from October 17-21, 2012. For the third year in a row Puglia Sounds will participate in Womex with an institutional stand (n. 5.108) devoted to the promotion of Apulian music heritage and by organizing a rich schedule of events aimed to develop Apulian music industry.
An intense agenda for the whole Apulian delegation at Womex 16 representatives from 16 Apulian music enterprises (Marco Cardetta – Yuppi Du Factory, Stefania Cosi- Soniboni, Valerio Manisi – Teatro Jonico Salentino, Francesco Andriani De Vito –INSINTESI, Antonio Melegari –Kamafei, Giusy Colì – Li Ucci Festival, Lucia Cisternino- Skaddia Pizziche e musiche dal Sud, Maristella Martella – Tarantarte, Koblan Bonaventure Amissah – Bari in Jazz Festival, Salvatore Rossano –Azzband, Fabio Turchetti – Ethno Ensamble Salentina Khaossia, Marco Piazzolla –Marco Piazzolla Group, Marinella Mazzotta – 11/8 records, Marcello Lupo –Wolf Company label, Dominique Antonacci – Terraross, Flaminia Vulcano – Tarantulae), together with all the Apulian artists from and Puglia Sounds staff, for a total number of 50 persons.
- 12.00 pm Panel Meeting “Puglia: The Music Shrine of Southern Italy”
Moderated by Valerio Corzani, journalist (Rai Radio 3, Il Manifesto) with the participation of Ian Anderson (UK), editor-in- chief of the magazine fRoots and artists Alessandro Coppola and Anna Cinzia Villani. The panel will account for an opportunity to present the extensive reportage about Apulian music and the compilation of music from Salento, included in the November/December 2012 issue of fRoots magazine, distributed to all delegates and media representatives attending Womex 12.
- 05:00 pm at Puglia Sounds stand (n. 5.108): Apulian aperitif open to all registrated international operators, a chance to present the schedule of activities and to introduce Apulian operators.
- 11:15 pm Apulian band Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino closes the night within the prestigious official selection of Womex showcases- presenting their latest CD Pizzica Indiavolata, promoted with the support of Puglia Sounds.
- 12.00 pm at Puglia Sounds stand (n. 5.108): press conference (also open to operators) for the presentation of the Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino CD Pizzica Indiavolata .
- 9.00 pm Puglia Sounds Night: for the first time Womex celebrates the music of a region (such special nights were only devoted to countries in the previous editions of Womex) with Antonio Castrignanò, Mama Marjas and Mascarimirì on stage (Helexpo – offWomex stage at Velidis). A great night promoted by Puglia Sounds, a unique chance of visibility for Apulian music.
- As a Womex side event, the Italian Institute of Culture of Thessaloniki, in collaboration with Puglia Sounds, organizes a conference on the links between Greek language and Salento traditional music at the Archaeological Museum with the participation of some members of the Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino.